Rather than a motel we decided for our stay in Charlottetown to book a house that would give us a little more space and particularly in this instance, some more character to our accommodations.
We rented 108 Water St which had previously been the home to the Islander Newspaper and was built in 1847 and situated on the corner of Water and Great George Streets, right in the centre of the historic district of Charlottetown. Our home for the duration was the cream coloured house on the end of this terrace.
Adjoining our rental house was the Gainsford House, occupied by the owners of the house we rented. Gainsford House was the oldest brick built building in Charlottetown. Built in 1833 it is the oldest brick building in Charlottetown. The later addition to the right was built by a doctor who also treated livestock and brought them in through the double doors. The house was the scene of PEI's first car accident in 1901 when the local bishop took his first drive in a car given to him by his congregation and crashed into those double doors.
Inside there was an entrance hall with large wooden stairway
To the front of the home was the formal living room with fireplace, probably the reception when the building was the Islander Newspaper.
Behind the living room was the separate dining room which in turn led through to the kitchen, likely added at the later date.
Upstairs where three queen bedrooms
While the top floor provided a spacious kids attic room.
Outside was a small enclosed garden where we occasionally met the owners friendly schnauzers. While it may not have been the quietest location right in the heart of the town it was perfectly located for exploring all attractions of PEI and it was great to stay in a home with some history.